Following submission of a completed application and the required supporting materials, candidate's files are reviewed by the Resident Selection Committee. This committee consists of the Program Director and at least two other faculty members who provide support for the GPR. Only graduates of a dental school which is accredited by the American Dental Association are considered.
The following guidelines are used to select individuals who will be invited for an interview:
- Applicants should rank in the top half of their dental school class.
- Applicants should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in dental school.
- Applicants should have an average score of 85 or higher on National Boards.
- Letters of recommendation should be strongly supportive of the individual's scholastic potential, clinical abilities and personal characteristics.
- An applicant who does not meet the first three guidelines may be considered if their academic record reflects a notable, consistent improvement and they are supported by exceptional letters of recommendation.
Candidates who are ultimately considered for the Carilion Clinic Dental Residency Program are required to participate in a personal interview. Following the interview process, members of the GPR Resident Selection Committee independently rank the applicants. Should there be gross discrepancies in the rankings, the committee further discusses the applicants. The rankings and deliberations provide the basis for a consensus opinion of the committee.
The Program Director then submits a rank order list to the National Matching Service. The GPR of Carilion Clinic strictly adheres to the requirements of the National Matching Service and all positions are offered only through the National Matching Service.