101 Elm Avenue
Roanoke, VA 24013
The founding organizations of Community Hospital date back to the early 1900s – Jefferson Hospital began in 1907, and Lewis-Gale Hospital began in 1909. By the 1950s, the demand for hospital beds in Roanoke was ever increasing.
To better serve the community, these two facilities planned to join forces in 1959 and create a new hospital in Roanoke. Lewis-Gale would eventually decide to remain independent, but this partnership was the beginning of Community Hospital of Roanoke Valley, which opened in September, 1967.
William R. Reid became the hospital's administrator in 1953 and remained with the hospital until his retirement in 1992. Reid saw the hospital through most of its history, beginning with its construction in the Orchard Hill section of downtown Roanoke in 1963. The community backed the effort by exceeding the fundraising goal for the hospital by $300,000.
The hospital grew over the years and operated successful among competition in the Valley. A partnership between Community and Roanoke Memorial began in the late 80’s and was finalized in early 1991. In May 1992 the obstetrics and the neonatal intensive care unit were moved to Community Hospital into the new Carilion Center for Women and Children. The two hospital boards consolidated into one in 1996 and the hospital became known as Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. The hospital received accreditation with commendation from JCAHO in 1997.
Over the years, Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital has undergone much growth and change.
Today, the facility is home to several outpatient services, including Carilion Clinic Community Care, the Wound Care Center including hyperbaric oxygen treatment (HBOT), and Occupational Medicine for the business and industrial community. Other services located at the facility include a laboratory collection site, pediatric dental services and inpatient rehabilitation. Community Hospital also is the home of the Jefferson College of Health Sciences.
Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital is a Magnet Hospital.