More than 150,000 new cases of colorectal cancer (cancer of the colon or rectum) are diagnosed each year. At Carilion Clinic we’d rather prevent colorectal cancer than treat it. Ask your primary care physician whether you should be screened for colorectal cancer.
Our cancer treatment program, in collaboration with the physicians of Blue Ridge Cancer Care, provides the full range of colorectal cancer treatments, including chemotherapy, targeted therapies and radiation, on both an in-patient and out-patient basis.
We emphasize a multidisciplinary approach to care so every patient benefits from the collaborative expertise of an experienced team of specialists who meet regularly to discuss each patient’s care and progress.
Our surgeons, specialists in minimally invasive procedures, have extensive experience treating all types of cancer.
We encourage patients and their loved ones to participate in a wide range of complementary and alternative treatments, including support groups, nutritional counseling, massage, and more.
Services offered include:
- Screening and diagnostic testing, including colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy, CT colonography
- Minimally invasive robotic surgical procedures utilizing the da Vinci ® Surgical System
- Multidisciplinary tumor board meetings
- An ostomy clinic staffed with specialized nurses
- Targeted therapies (such as monoclonal antibodies)